Thursday, November 27, 2014

Cast of Characters

As my adventures continue, I find it is necessary to give fictional names to the people I write about. Because the next dozen or so blogs were written all together in a somewhat continuous flow, it seemed silly to keep calling people my so and so. Also, I wanted to start using some of the Japanese I am learning. So, to keep things straight, I decided to make a Cast of Characters.

Cast of Characters
Otose - My landlady. This is the name of the landlady character in one of my favorite animes, Gintama. Now I am calling my landlady Otose not because she is anything like the characterExcept in her overwhelming kindness and overall standing in our community. Okay, so maybe she is a bit like the Gintama character. But she does not sound like a fifty year smoker and I have never heard her yell.
Okasan - Japanese word for mother
Otosan - Japanese word for father
Anata - Japanese word for you, but used by women to address their spouses. Think of it as darling or dear. In this blog, it is the name I will use for my husband.
Ojiichan - Japanese word for grandfather or old men you are familiar with. Chan is a friendly honorific usually used for those younger than you, but for grandparents it is used instead of -san in most cases. Since I have met a lot of wonderful old men, I will just call them all ojiichan.

So those are some of the people you will see popping up from time to time. You will also see more Japanese words. I will try and use my awesome writing skills to make their meaning clear from the context clues, but if not I will try to include a translation in the end notes. That's all for now. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment