Saturday, February 7, 2015

Samui desu ne!

And so I spent the coldest winter of my life. Okay, this is a little over dramatic.  Before moving to Japan, I spent four years in South Dakota, where winter temps regularly dip way, way below zero (-17.77777778 for those of you using the Celsius scale).  Usually around -40 Fahrenheit (surprisingly, -40 Celsius).  In comparison, Osaka has only dipped below 32 Fahrenheit (0 Celsius) a few times this winter.  Yet somehow, it just feels so much colder.

Mostly I think the Japanese cold is intolerable because it is not just cold, it is damp and cold.  At -40 in South Dakota, there is no moisture left in the air.  In Osaka, it can be raining and 28 Fahrenheit (-2 Celsius).  That kind of cold just seeps into your body.  Even if you manage to stay dry, you still feel freezing.  Then there is the wind that seems to cut through the many, many layers of clothing you are wearing.  In four years in South Dakota, I never wore long johns or really much in the way of layers.  Here, I wear long johns every day (and knee high socks, sweaters, undershirts, whatever I can find).  Some days I can hardly move my arms or legs for all the layers I am wearing under my slacks and blouse.

This brings up another fundamental difference, though.  In America, I never had to wear layers or really worry about the cold, because central heating was usually just a short sprint away.  Even on the coldest days, the most I was exposed to the elements was the short distance between the car and whatever building I was heading for.  On super cold days (those -40 ones), you just didn't leave the house.  Even during blizzards, we managed to stay relatively toasty between generators, blankets, alcohol, and fur babies.  I remember schools being so hot during the winter, that you had to wear short sleeves under your coat or you would sweat all day. 

Not so in Japan.  I am not sure if it is a nation wide test of courage or just giving the middle finger to Mother Nature, but central heating does not exist in Japan.  Given how much they excel in the realm of technology, I found this strange.  Schools are not heated (or air conditioned).  During the coldest months, they bring in gas stoves that sit in the middle of the room.  In the staff room there is a wall unit.  But hallways might as well be outside (some of the windows are always open anyway).  On the best days the cold is uncomfortable, on the worst you and your students spend the hour shivering.  Now other buildings are heated, so working in an office or store is warmer.  Still not central heating, but better than actually being outside.  The busses and train are also decently warm.  Some are downright hot (which are usually the overcrowded ones so you can't manage to move to get your coat off).  However, this creates its own problems when you have to get off and walk.  You just managed to warm up and now it is back into the elements.  And you walk everywhere in this country.  So by the end of the day you return to a freezing house (because leaving the wall heater on is dangerous) with frostbite on your toes and an eternally damp coat.

The cold isn't all bad, though.  It has given rise to some great traditions - hot sake, udon and ramen, and, my favorite, the kotatsu.  Winter is a miserable season everywhere.  While, as an American, I feel Japan could be doing a lot more to keep its citizens warm during the winter, I realize it is just another way that our cultures are different.  Japanese people don't like the cold any more than I do (actually they might be less tolerant toward it), but rather than spoil themselves with central heating, overly warm buildings, and just staying out of the elements, they instead live with it and find a way to almost enjoy it.  And that is a large part of the difference between America and Japan.  America changes things to suit itself.  We refuse to be uncomfortable.  Japan finds a way to live with the uncomfortable bits.  They create traditions that make it a little bit more tolerable, but nothing can change the underlying irritant.  But the shoulder their burden together.  Maybe it makes it a bit less uncomfortable when you know everyone else is suffering too.

Personally, I am just waiting for spring to come and thaw me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment