Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Sayonara Osaka

They say all good things must come to an end.  Sadly, with the new school year, I had to leave Osaka for a new position in Wakayama City.

When I got the call last June (or was it July) and found out I would be moving to Osaka, I had never heard of the place.  My understanding of Japanese geography was pretty non-existent.  But the more I read about Osaka, the more it seemed like the perfect place for me to find myself in Japan.

Osaka is the black sheep of Japan.  Compared to the rest of the country, Osaka is supposedly full of loud, crude, country bumpkins.  But this is not what I found at all.  In Osaka I found kind, friendly people who will stop you on a street corner and talk to you.  They go out of their way to make everyone feel comfortable.  They like to laugh and have a good time.  It is a city of delicious food, lots of bright lights, and friends you haven't met yet.  They embraced their differences with the rest of Japan and created their own vibrant culture.  They have a respect for the traditional ways to do things and the proper manners that Japan is so known for, but they don't stand on these.  They let people be themselves and take things at face value.  They are quite frank when compared to other Japanese people, but for a foreigner, that was a blessing.  They embraced me with open arms.  They made me feel at home.  They helped me see and understand this wonderful country in a way I don't think I could have done from any other city.  It really was the perfect place for this boisterous, fun-loving American.

I learned a lot about Japan and myself in my short time in Osaka.  Leaving was one of the hardest things I have had to do.  Not just because moving all of my stuff by train and car was a nightmare (how does one accumulate so much stuff in seven short months?), but because I was leaving a place that had really become home.  In seven months I had made many friends.  I had built a life for myself surrounded by people who supported me and gave me strength when Japan got a little too much for me.  But part of what they helped me realize, is that I am strong.  And this next adventure will be just another test of that strength.  I will have to start over, but I am smarter and better prepared now.  I also have people here I can count on for help.

To all of my friends in Osaka and Sakai, honto ni arigato gozaimus!  You have shown me how beautiful this country is.  You have helped me through so much.  You have made Japan feel like home.  I am grateful for every moment and every memory.  I can keep going because of all you have done for me.  I can start a new adventure in Wakayama with confidence and excitement.  Thank you.

But this isn't really goodbye.  Wakayama is only a couple hours south.  I will be back before you know it.  And then I will have more stories to share over a saucer of sake.

The first step of my next thousand mile journey...

No comments:

Post a Comment