Monday, August 11, 2014

3…2…1… My super amazing Send Off Weekend

I have mentioned before that I have met some really amazing people here.  For my last weekend in town, they really put in the time and effort to send me off in style.  To everyone that came out, thanks so much.  For those of you that were unable to make it, you’ll just have to be doubly sure to make it to my Welcome Home party.     

Festivities began Friday with a fancy cocktail party in my honor.  Now, living where I do, there isn’t a lot of call for getting all dressed up to go out on the town.  However, my best friend and I have made kind of a tradition out of just showing up to the local watering hole in fancy dresses from time to time.  I had one dress left in my closet that I had not had a chance to wear.  Packing being the ordeal that it was, I was not going to take this dress with me to Japan.  So I needed an occasion.  She provided a fantastic night. 

We started out with hair and makeup with my favorite hairdresser; then we made it over to the venue and caught the last couple bingo games of the evening.  I didn’t win, but then again I rarely do.  I guess you could call the whole night a win, though, since I got to spend it with some of my favorite people.  My in-laws made it in with some extended family members in tow.  The ladies I had shared many bottles of wine with were there for one last glass and some good conversations.  My favorite group of country gentlemen kept us entertained with stories and jokes.  There was good food and good drink all around.  A little impromptu karaoke to get me in the habit.  I even made a new friend that night who had actually taught in Japan and had a lot of great advice.  It was an amazing evening that quickly turned to 3AM.






Probably my favorite picture of the night.  The photographer really captured us perfectly.
Somehow I pulled myself together a little later Saturday morning.  After several cups of coffee and a few Tylenol, plans were made for that night’s activities.  My husband’s uncle is in a great country band.  I had hoped to see them one last time at our local celebration, but they had another gig this year.  But somehow Karma was on my side, yet again, when I found out they were playing just a couple hours away.  Three of us set off a little after five for dinner in the booming metropolis of Dickinson followed by an evening of live music just down the highway in Richardton.  Along the way, we caught up with an old friend who had been our partner in crime on many occasions.  We danced, sang, and had a ball.  We also endeared ourselves with the local children by giving out glow sticks (originally intended for personal use, but they had so much more fun than we ever could have).

Okay, maybe they couldn't have had more fun
Sunday we spent a final afternoon out at the lake.  This was only my second time out on the water and I really wish I had gotten my act in gear sooner.  What was billed as a relaxing afternoon on the pontoon, turned into a wild tube ride, burgers on the beach, and a beautiful sunset to cap it all off.  I woke up with sore muscles, but no regrets this morning as I started to collect all the pieces and get ready for leaving tomorrow. 




As I was watching the sun go down last night, I couldn’t help thinking how perfect it all was.  The sun is setting on my time here.  While I am gone, the people laughing and talking on the beach with me will change.  They will share many adventures without me – hopefully all good.  I will hear about them, and see pictures on social media, but it will be kind of like the shadows you see at night –hard to make out and connect with in the darkness.  And I will have my own adventures that, unfortunately, they won’t be able to share. 



But after the darkness comes the dawn.  When I come home, I will get to meet these people all over again.  I will get to hear their stories; the ones they are all sick of hearing/telling for the hundredth time, but are new and exciting for me.  I will get to tell them all my stories, too.  And I know friendships will be relit and burn brighter than ever before.


So while I am sad for this sunset, I can’t wait to see you all when I get back.  It’s going to be one hell of a party!

No comments:

Post a Comment