Thursday, August 14, 2014

Nihon e yōkoso

*Disclaimer: Due to sleep deprivation and severe emotional and physical stress on the part of the author, this post will likely be less eloquent, less thought out, and more prone to grammar mistakes. Just bear with me. I've been up since 4AM central time on Wednesday.*

Part 1 - Bismarck to Denver
 
Final goodbyes at the Bismarck Airport at way before the butt crack of dawn.
So, this is really happening.  I am really moving to Japan.  As I write this, I am sitting, somewhat comfortably, on the first flight of my journey. 

There were no tears this morning, I am happy to report.  Although, that is probably because I am so dehydrated from all the crying yesterday.  Still, it took several attempts to record quivering voice free video messages for my BFF and hubby.

Saying goodbye has never been my strong suite.  I am not as stoic as my little sister.  I tend to cry at the drop of a hat.  There were a lot of hats dropping the last few days - saying goodbye to my fur babies, my friends, and my family.  I think the worst moment was when my stubborn and independent scottie dog snuck out the front door and hopped in the car with my luggage.  Telling him he couldn't go really broke the emotional dam that had only been leaking at that point.  I also had calls, emails, and messages from all over the world wishing me luck.  It was so thoughtful I couldn't help tearing up from all the well wishes. 

I know I should not be sad, though.  This is an amazing opportunity and adventure.  I just wish I could take everyone with me is all.

Thank you, everyone, for the support and love over the last few days.  Thank you for helping me come to grips with the monumental decision I am making.  I am not going to lie, I felt like bailing more than a few times these past couple weeks, but you all made me realize what an amazing chance this is for me to grow and learn.  

I miss you all already, but I know you will all be watching and reading. 

Part 2 - Denver to San Francisco

Originally this was only supposed to be a one part post, but things changed in Denver. 

When I collected my gate check bag and finally stepped off the jet-bridge, I was met with the best and worst surprise of my day - probably my week.  Standing in the waiting area were my mom and dad.  

SURPRISE!
I was completely overwhelmed.  The only way I was able to hold it together was Mom's technical difficulties as she was trying to take a video.  It was a welcome distraction that kept too many tears from falling.

It was only for an hour, but it was an awesome surprise.  One that took a lot of preparation and luck not to spoil (the original plan was to meet me in San Francisco, but the flights were too full).  It was hard saying goodbye to my parents in person, but I am glad I got the chance to hug them one more time.

Mom said the trick was not to look back.  It almost worked.

Part 3 - San Francisco to Kansai


Just stepping into the waiting area was like stepping into another country.  It was my first glimpse at how different life will be. 

The first thing I noticed was how quite it was.  Compared to the domestic terminal I had just left, it was almost silent.  That wasn't because no one was speaking; it was because they were speaking quietly.  I passed a young man talking on his cell phone.  Instead of holding the headset to his ear, he was using his earbuds and microphone.  I almost couldn't tell what he was doing at first.  I had to be right next to him to realize he was speaking softly on the phone.

There were a few louder passengers, but these were children playing in the row of seats next to me.  I couldn't help but watch them.  It was the same kinds of games my sister and I would have played when we were their age with barbies and other dolls, but they were speaking in Japanese.  It made me smile.

The one discovery I was not thrilled to make was that the Japanese people in the waiting room didn't seem to have the same sense of personal space I did.  I was in the waiting area a little early so I chose a seat that was pretty isolated.  I took a seat for myself, and one for my bag.  I had about six seats left to the end of the row and just one on the other side.  As the flight got closer, though, all the seats filled up.  That wasn't surprising, it was a big plane.  The surprising thing was that the seats next to me went first.  I even began to feel self-conscious for having my luggage on a seat instead of on the floor!  I have a much smaller personal bubble than most people I know, but as a solo traveler, it made me a little cautious when people did not hesitate to sit next to me (especially since I probably smelled like a high school athlete's gym bag after hoofing it across what felt like the entire San Francisco airport).  I guess it is just something I am going to have to get used to.  Space of any kind is a premium in Japan and I will just have to get used to sharing my personal space with strangers.  At least they will be polite, quiet strangers.

I had one last reprieve to enjoy my American sense of personal space.  I was lucky enough to have an empty seat next to me and a rather stoic, quiet Japanese man on the aisle.  I always hate getting stuck next to a talker on long flights.

The aircraft was a Boeing 787 Dreamliner and it was, by far, the nicest plane I have ever been on in my life.  The windows were large and didn't have the traditional pull down shades.  Instead, they tinted with the press of a button.  I had my own tv and access to hundreds of movies.  I finally got to see Captain America: The Winter Soldier.  I also watched the second 300 movie because when you are having trouble sleeping, senseless violence and mostly naked me is a pretty good alternative.  I was just in economy class, but it sure felt like I was getting my first taste of Japanese convenience and technology.  I was a little disappointed that there were no robotic stewardesses, though.


One last look at American soil.  

Part 4 - Finally made it




My first views of Japan!
I finally made it to my hotel.  I have been through so many time zones, my body has absolutely no idea what time it is.  I am exhausted, sweaty, sore, and glad to be here.

The train ride from the airport to my hotel was equal parts amazing, frustrating, frightening, and exhausting.  But I think that is a story for another time (when I am not so tired). 

Just know I arrived safely, managed to make it to my hotel, and even acquire my first taste of authentic Japanese food – from the 7/11 across the street from my hotel.

Some kind of mango pudding/custard with cream in the middle.  Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment