Monday, August 4, 2014

8... Some things I will not miss

- Negative 30 temps with wind chill of negative 50.  To go along with that, multiple feet of snow that doesn't melt until May.  Yeah, not going to miss South Dakota winters at all.

-Having the windows open on a beautiful spring day just to have the wind change direction and bring the smells and sounds of the unhappy livestock at the sale barn wafting my direction.

-Long car rides alone (two or more hours just to turn around and come back the same distance in the same day). This can be alright if you have a buddy (see things I will miss), but there is only so much time a person can spend alone in a vehicle.  After a while even music won’t stop the voices.

-In conjunction with the previous item, driving at dusk when the deer are out.  I haven’t gotten used to looking for wildlife while driving.  I have racked up quite a kill list in the last four years, mostly pheasants and other fowl.  I will not miss watching for them or the mechanic’s snickers when I explain the new dent in the fender or the feathers embedded in the grill. 
  
-The lingering, clinging smell of dog fart.  And really any unpleasant dog related activities such as going to the vet, dealing with dingle berries, cleaning up vomit/poop/pee, all the joys of pet ownership.

-Trying to get a 90 pound dog, who refuses to jump or step up, into the car.

-Allergies (sniff, sniff).  Some due to dogs, but most due to the astounding amount of grasses, weeds, and plants that cover this whole area.

This was never going to be a very long list, but I did expect a few more items.  

Honestly, I will really miss this small town.  It hasn't been my ideal location, but it is safe, the people are caring and helpful, and some days, during the summer, it is really pretty.  I have learned a lot about myself and my husband here.  We have made some great friends and had some amazing adventures.  But yeah, those winters - I don't think that will ever be enjoyable.  We're talking north of the Wall, Hoth, ninth circle of hell cold. Brrrrrr.   

No comments:

Post a Comment