Saturday, August 9, 2014

4... Some things I am looking forward to

I have mentioned, quite a few times, the things I am going to miss (or not miss in some cases), but I haven’t really said much about the things I am looking forward to.  When I first found out I was going to be in Osaka, I was a little bit nervous.  I didn’t know anything about the area, only that it was one of the biggest cities.  The company I will be working for had me convinced my chances of getting a metro assignment were slim so I was a little shocked.  Even more so when I actually looked up the population – almost 3 million in the city itself, 19 million in the metro area.  To say it will be a shock is a bit of an understatement.  But as I dug deeper into what kind of place I would be moving to, I realized that Osaka might just be the best place I could have landed.

Food – Osaka is the culinary heart of Japan.  Apparently there is even an old saying, "Kyotoites are financially ruined by overspending on clothing, Osakans are ruined by spending on food.”  As self-confessed foodie, this is the place for me!  Some of the local specialties include okonomiyaki, which is kind of like a pancake and literally means “what you like grilled,” takoyaki, ball shaped bits of battered and fried octopus topped with different sauces, and a type of sushi where they press it into a square shape called oshizushi.  Obviously they also have an assortment of other Japanese dishes, but these are the local specialty.  Osaka is also known for its premium sake (wink wink).  I can’t wait to try everything!

Shopping – I am not a huge shopper, but I do like to watch people.  Osaka, like any metropolitan area, has a great selection of shops, so I am sure to have plenty of people to watch.  One area I am particularly interested in visiting is Den-Den Town or Nipponbasi.  This is a shopping area, rather close to the house I will be living at, that specializes in electronics and anime/manga.  The pictures of this place are crazy!  I can only imagine what it will be like in person.  One thing that makes this market unique is it is one of the only places in Japan where you can haggle over prices.  Sounds like a fun experience.

Attractions – As with any large city, Osaka has a lot to offer as far as attractions.  There is Universal Studios Japan (with the Wizarding World of Harry Potter), a massive aquarium, the world’s tallest/longest escalator that takes you to the top of the Umeda Sky Building for amazing panoramic views of the entire area, and other great places to see.  Add to this list a number of parks, flea markets, temples, hiking trials, and festivals, and I will never have a free weekend!

History – Osaka was one of the first permanent capitals of Japan, I found out.  I knew about Kyoto, but apparently in 645, Kōtoku built his capital in what became Osaka (it was called Nara at the time).  Anyway, rulers came and went, sometimes unwillingly, and the official capital changed many times, but Osaka, or whatever it was called at the time, was always important to the Japanese economy as a major port.  For that reason, the city is draped in centuries of history.  There are several important historical landmarks in the region including a castle and a plethora of history museums.  Several museums and area I have read about seem to be set up as living history museums that you can explore. I will admit I know very little of Japanese history, it wasn’t exactly core curriculum in Texas, so I look forward to expanding my brain and my horizons.


To keep this from sounding like a school report, I will just leave it at this:  I was very lucky to be placed in such an amazing area.  There are a lot of things that fit perfectly with my personality and interests.  I would have been happy anywhere in Japan, but Osaka seems like it has the right attitude and attractions for me.  I am still excited to travel outside the Kansai region and see Tokyo, Kyoto, and many other places, but Osaka seems like the best place to call home.  For a little while anyway.  A city of hard-working, down-to-earth people who like to eat well and have a good time – what more could I ask for? 

No comments:

Post a Comment